Oahu, Hawaii Shopping
Shopping on Oahu offers everything from quaint old country stores to modern shopping centers. It takes a trip around the island to fully appreciate all that Oahu has to offer.
If you were born to shop, Oahu is definitely the place for you. You can find a lot of the same items that are on the Mainland, but most likely you’ll be interested in those items that are uniquely Hawaiian or have been imported from the exotic Far East.
Honolulu is a shopper’s paradise, boasting every type of venue from massive malls to tacky flea markets. Walk along Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki and you may imagine that most visitors come primarily to shop! If you want to bring home some tidbits that truly reflect Hawaiian culture, here are some things to look for:
- Clothing: You must have at least one aloha shirt (vintage or new), or a classic short or long mu’umu’u, in the bright floral patterns of the islands. Other tropical wear, much of it from Bali, is stylish and inexpensive. A few t-shirts are also a must. Aloha Wear | Beachwear | Fashion/Clothing
- Arts and Crafts: Among the finest the islands have to offer are exquisite Hawaiian quilts, furniture and bowls made of rich koa wood, and extraordinarily unique Ni’ihau shell leis. Artists/Galleries
- Gifts and souvenirs: Look carefully and you’ll find many one-of-a-kind artifacts you just can’t pass up. Books/Magazines | Gifts/Mail-Order
- Food: Bring home macadamia nuts, tropical jams and syrups, Kona coffee, and much more. Don’t forget coconuts and pineapples, available all packed up for you to take home. Island Edibles
- Jewelry: Check out Hawaiian Heirloom jewelry, a tradition since the days of Hawaii’s last monarch, Queen Lili’uokalani (1838-1917, deposed 1893). Jewelry
- Fine Art: Hawai’i produces a profusion of talented artists. Check out both the known and the unknown at any number of galleries. Artists/Galleries | Music
- Hawaiiana: Vintage collectibles reflecting island culture are becoming more and more expensive, but you can still find some bargains. Hawaiian Products
- Flower leis: They won’t last long, but indulge someone you love back home will the exquisite fragrance of plumeria, ginger, tuberose, or pikake. (Get them fresh at the airport lei stands before you leave.) Flowers/Nurseries