|HomeVacation PlannerLove StoriesDiscount CardMapsInsider's Guide|
Hints & Tips
Hints & Tips
Ask the Big Kahuna
Best Hidden Places
10 Best of Hawaii
Oahu: Essential FactsLearn these Oahu factoids and you will know more than most on your dream Hawaii vacation:
1. Oahu is the third largest of the Hawaiian Islands, with a coastline of 112 miles.
2. The average temperature range is 71-80 degrees F, with variable rainfall on different sections and elevations of the island.
3. The highest point on Oahu is Mt. Kaala, which rises 4,020 feet above sea level.
4. Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and Waikiki are all located on Oahu.
5. The island of Oahu is formed from the remnants of two large shield volcanoes, the older Waianae Volcano on Oahu's west side, and the younger Koolau Volcano on Oahu's east side.
6. On the North Shore, beaches are often dangerous in winter with waves higher than 25 feet. In summer there is often no surf and swimming and snorkeling are excellent.
7. Iolani Palace in Honolulu is the only royal palace in the United States.
8. Oahu is the most-visited Hawaiian Island.
9. The open-air Ala Moana Shopping Center, across the street from Ala Moana Beach Park, comprises 50 acres with 200 shops that attract tens of millions of customers a year.
10. Diamond Head is a volcanic crater that was given its name by British sailors in the 1800's. When they first saw the crater at a great distance, the calcite crystals in the lava rock appeared to glimmer in the sunlight and the sailors mistakenly thought there must be diamonds in the soil.
11. Queen Liliuokalani was the last reigning monarch of the Hawaiian islands. In 1898, Hawaii was annexed to the United States and Queen Liliuokalani gave up her throne.
12. Surfing has been popular in Hawaii since 300 A.D., when Polynesians arrived and played in the surf on "belly boards."
13. Hawaii Standard Time is in effect year-round. There is no daylight savings time. Hawaii is 2 hours behind Pacific Standard Time and 5 hours behind Eastern Standard Time. When daylight savings time is in effect on the mainland, Hawaii is 3 hours behind the West Coast and 6 hours behind the East Coast.
Explore more Hints & Tips...
Or plan your dream vacation through our Hawaii Travel Directory: Big Island | Kauai | Maui | Oahu