|HomeVacation PlannerLove StoriesDiscount CardMapsInsider's Guide|
Hints & Tips
Hints & Tips
Ask the Big Kahuna
Best Hidden Places
10 Best of Hawaii
Avoiding JetlagJetlag can cause travelers many problems, including fatigue, constipation, headache, irregular heartbeat, and nausea.
Here are our 10 Best Tips to Avoiding Jetlag:
1. Get plenty of sleep before you leave.
2. Eat well-balanced meals, avoid overeating, and don't drink alcohol (it dehydrates your body). Favor fruit on the plane (it re-hydrates your body).
3. Set your watch to the local time of your destination as soon as you get on the plane.
4. Spend time outside or at least near a window during daylight hours in the new location. Natural light helps reset your body clock.
5. Adjust your bedtime and meal times to the new location as soon as possible.
6. Drink plenty of water during flight to avoid the dehydration caused by flying.
7. Melatonin, a widely-available over-the-counter supplement, helps some people re-adjust their photo-period to the new location without experiencing jetlag. For details, visit www.lef.org and consult your physician.
8. Exercise as much as you can on your trip, especially by doing fun stuff.
9. Do what the locals do and adopt their local food, dress, and customs as soon as you arrive.
10. Enjoy your vacation!
Source: Ma'balli Ma'bembo
Explore more Hints & Tips...
Or plan your dream vacation through our Hawaii Travel Directory: Big Island | Kauai | Maui | Oahu